Jay Hardway is a natural born drummer and producer. This youngster from the South of Holland is currently climbing his way up to the top! Jay is inspired by all kinds of music and you can hear his passionate
With big successes already achieved in his still short career, Jay Hardway is proving to be a special one. His collaborat
1) Hi there, Jay. How have you been lately?
Very good! Been working on new music a lot and really happy with what’s going on in the studio. Exploring different sounds and styles at the moment.
2) Over the last few years, you’ve become quite the successful DJ/producer. How has the journey been for you up until this point?
CRAZY! When I started making music I just did it for fun. I never wanted to be famous or a big DJ. And to this day I’ve always tried to maintain that attitude. Making music for the love of music and not trying to score a hit. It’s crazy to see that my work in my small home studio can have so much impact around the world.
3) What do you think makes you and your music unique from other DJs/producers?
Like i said before I don’t try to make “hits”. I try to make music I like and I think that gives it a unique sound. Of course not every record is going to be big on the radio for example, but I think that makes it more interesting.
4) Give us more details about your latest remix of „Runaways”. Why did you decide to put your spin on this particular tune?
Sam has been a good friend of mine for a long time now. We both weren’t DJ’ing a lot yet when we met, only in small bars in Holland. So when he asked me I immediately said yes. I think it’s really cool to see we both have come a long way and we are now traveling the world playing our own music.
5) Typically, how long does it take you to make and perfect a track/remix until you’re ready to release it?
It’s never really finished. I try to make it perfect, but sometimes you’re bound to a release schedule and you just have to go with it. Usually an idea for a track is created really fast, like in 1 or 2 days. After that it depends on my mood and touring schedule before a track is finished. It can take a month, 2 months or even a year, because I work on multiple projects at once.
6) When you aren’t playing shows or making new music, what are the things you like to do to unwind?
Sleeping, watching movies and playing videogames. I like to work out as well to stay fit.
7) Seeing that 2016 is almost over, can you tell us what was one of the happiest moments for you this year?
Sziget festival was definitely my highlight this year. Such a good crowd and everything was just coming together in my set. One of those sets I’m never going to forget.
8) And also, what is an important life lesson you’ve learned over the past year?
That you have to surround yourself with people you can trust and you feel good around. And that there is too little time to keep frustrated about certain things you don’t have control over. This is mostly about the ‘business-side’ of being a DJ, which I never really enjoy. But it’s part of the job 🙂
9) What do you have coming up? Anything that you’re excited about and want to share with our readers?
NEW MUSIC! Not just new as in coming up, but also as in new sounds. Different kind of tracks, not all focussed on the clubs, but more for listening pleasure. I’m going to show I’m a diverse producer next year! My track ‘Somnia’ is a good example of that already i think. So there is more where that came from.
10) Thank you for answering our questions!